Wish I didn’t leave the Youth Congress Early Part 1

So today was the first day of the first ever Pana Foundation sponsored Youth Congress. I signed up for it because I thought it would give me a chance to up my knowledge on all things involving the fast-paced world of media – the new, the old, and everything in between. Sadly, the cosmos has conspired against me on this matter, so I only had enough time to register myself, get the loot bag and the other goodies, sit through the introduction by the emcees and the first half of the first part of the first speaker’s talk before I had to go back to UPM CAS to fix that blasted dissolved subject conundrum.

But it seemed like such an interesting event, if not a tad repetitive. I mean, some (read: most) of the things that the first speaker talked about in the parts of her speech that I was able to catch were things already ingrained in us OrCom students via the repetitive and strenuous training that the OrCom instructors have put us through. But then again, I was only able to attend about and hour or so before I had to leave, so really, I shouldn’t talk.

Anyway, since I have nothing to say about the actual talks (which kind of makes this post a lot useless, really), I’m just going to talk about the very interesting loot bags they provided. And then maybe something about the registration process. ;>

So so so! I got up really early and got there really early. At about 6:30 am, I was already boarding off the MRT and getting off the station. Since it was still early (the registration process was supposed to start at 7:30 am), I decided to waste time by walking the distance between Boni Station of MRT and the venue, Unilab Bayanihan Center. I guess I was a bit disillusioned in thinking it wasn’t such a far distance to walk; I was basing my assumption on the previous time I went to the Bayanihan Center via trike. Anyway, it took me a good 30 minutes of very slow strolling to get to the venue, and even then the registration process was yet to start. So I decided to go to the Jollibee across the street to get some breakfast first.

A picture of the breakfast would be here, but I forgot to take it. Anyway, I had pancakes, and I took my sweet old time eating those two pieces of pancakes to help pass some more time. (It took me almost 45 minutes to finish my meal.)

So I went back to the venue at around 7:45 – just the right time to still be early but definitely not be the earliest there (even though I was). There were already a lot of people lining up at the reg, but none of them were from UP Manila. It was only after 10 more minutes that a classmate of mine finally showed up (Patsy), and just a few seconds later than she was another one (Marie). About another ten minutes later, Mina arrived.

We still couldn’t proceed to the registrar, since we didn’t have our tickets with us. We ended up waiting for Angel to arrive, since she had the tickets. She arrived at about 8:20.

After registering and deciding upon which hall we would be participating in, we finally had the chance to get our loot bags. The bags were filled with stuff from the sponsors of the event: 2 12g Colgate toothpaste sachets, 1 70g bar of Johnson’s Baby Soap, 1 50g tube of Clean and Clear Pimple Clearing Cleanser, 1 50ml bottle of Colgate Plax, 1 25ml bottle of Jergen’s Age Defying Moisturizer, 1 pad of DHL-branded sticky notes, 1 27g pack of Fibisco Jolly Biscuits, 1 30g pack of Rebisco Combi Sandwich Biscuits, 1 7.2g pack of Ovalteenies, 1 26g pack of Nestle Milo 3-in-1, 1 15g pack New Cafe Puro 3-in-1 instant coffee mix, 1 tetra pack of juice (brand name forgotten because I drank it immediately and forgot to note what it was before I threw it away… I was thirsty!), 1 bottle of unsweetened Oolong Tea (same fate as the tetra pack juice), a pre-packed combi of Johnson and Johnson products including 1 50g bottle of Johnson’s Cooling Baby Powder, 1 25ml Johnson’s Regular Baby Cologne, 1 60ml Band-Aid Isopropyl Alcohol, and 1 60g bar of Johnson’s Pure Essentials body soap. Oh, and there was a small Ridges pack there, but I forgot what flavor it was. It was nice, but too small. Made for a good snack in the trike, though.

Anyway, aside from the food and cosmetics in the loot bag, we were also given additional goodies, such as copies of the day’s Philippine Star and Inquirer newspapers, three issues of Adedge magazine, one long yellow envelope with a plastic envelope cover courtesy of Western Union, and a small purple Yahoo! pin. There was also a notebook and a pen, some fliers and advertisements for a fun run, and a game/contest booth sponsored by GMA7. I didn’t get to try the game, nor was I able to sign up for the fun run. I just didn’t have the time to do so, since I had to leave at ten to get to UPM CAS in time for my 11:30 am class.

Anyway, there’s still the event tomorrow. I wish I’d be able to stay longer then. Cross your fingers, guys. Wish me luck I don’t have to leave the Youth Congress early again for the second time around.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: